If it’s not in use turn off the juice…
Eskom implemented an increase of 13.87% in electricity tariffs starting from April 2019, if your electricity bill normally cost you R1000 each month you will now have to pay an extra R138 per month for the same usage.
Here are 20 ways you can save money around the house…
- Switch off lights when they are not in use.
- Reduce the wattage of your light bulbs.
- Use low-energy lamps for exterior lighting.
- Use the correct type of heater. Safest to use are oil heaters, but gas and infrared heaters are the most energy efficient.
- Ensure your home is properly insulated.
- Make use of electric blankets but be sure to turn them off once you climb into bed.
- When buying a dishwasher, look for energy saving features and rather make use of the short wash cycle.
- Only make use of the dishwasher if it is filled and don’t switch on if its half full.
- Regularly clean your dishwasher’s filters.
- Use correct temperature settings on your tumble dryer in order to minimise the amount of electricity used.
- Tumble dryers with an electronic humidity control are the most energy efficient, as they automatically shut off when the clothes are dry.
- A front-loading washing machine costs less to operate as it uses less water.
- Wash a full load instead of a half load.
- Keep oven doors closed until your food is fully cooked.
- It isn’t always necessary to preheat the oven. It is only necessary for food needing high temperatures and slow cooking times.
- Ceramic and glass pans retain heat much better than metal pans.
- To defrost food rather leave it in the fridge overnight, then it won’t be necessary to defrost food in the microwave.
- Set your geyser’s thermostat between 55°C and 60°C.
- Geyser blankets are one of many energy saving methods that could be used to reduce your energy footprint and save electricity.
- Installing a Geyserwise TSE Controller switch alongside your Geyser Blanket can also ensure big savings on your electricity bill. Water heating can account for 40 – 60 % of your electricity usage, installing these two systems in your home is well worth the effort.