When the well’s dry, we know the worth of water.
– Benjamin Franklin
October is rainwater harvesting month at K-plumbing and we are busy with a series of posts on best methods to harvest water, its benefits and how it can save you money. Below are some fun facts on this scarce resource we are so dependant on.
- Only 1% of the earth’s water is available for drinking, 2% is currently frozen.
- Water is the only substance on earth found naturally in three forms – solid,
liquid, and gas
- 70% of earth is water
- 70% of our skin is water
- You can survive about a month without food, but only 5 to 7 days without water
- Tomatoes are 95% water
- Watermelons are 93% water
- A dairy cow must drink 15 litres of water to produce 1 litre of milk
- The koala bear and the desert rat do not drink water
- On average, a person uses about 378 litres of water a day
- A five-minute shower takes 37 to 94 litres of water
- A silent toilet leak can leak as much as 1892 litres of water a day
*Be on the lookout for more posts on rainwater harvesting from K-Plumbing at www.k-plumbing.co.za*